[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.25.3″ text_font=”Georgia||||||||” text_text_align=”center” text_text_color=”#000000″ text_font_size=”100px” text_line_height=”2em”]


[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_row column_structure=”1_3,1_3,1_3″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_button button_url=”” button_text=”Introduction” _builder_version=”3.25.3″][/et_pb_button][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_button button_url=”” button_text=”Henry County History” _builder_version=”3.25.1″][/et_pb_button][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_button button_url=”” button_text=”Creative County Contest” _builder_version=”3.25.1″][/et_pb_button][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ min_height=”376px” _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_row column_structure=”1_2,1_2″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″ custom_padding=”||16px|||”][et_pb_column type=”1_2″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_image src=”” _builder_version=”3.25.3″ custom_padding=”|213px|0px|||”][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_2″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_image src=”” _builder_version=”3.25.3″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.25.1″][et_pb_row column_structure=”3_5,2_5″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_column type=”3_5″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.25.3″]

Built in 1886, the Anheuser-Busch building today houses the main collection of the Henry County Museum. Designed by E. Jugenfeld, the building is built in the Romanesque style to match company buildings in St. Louis, which were also designed by Jugenfeld. Clinton builder Henry A. Kratz built the building at a cost of $14,000. The building boasted three main downstairs rooms–an office area, workroom, cooling room, and two large upstairs rooms, used for ice storage and feed storage. At the rear of the building was a stable which housed five horses. There were no mechanical devices to cool the rooms, so ice had to be used. Ice was sometimes cut from the Artesian Lake and taken to the cooling rooms.
The Anheuser-Busch company chose Clinton as a bottling site due to its numerous rail lines. Anheuser was able to corner the beer market in southern states due to their use of cooled railway cars. The beer would be shipped in large containers and individually bottled at the Clinton location. The bottles could then be dispersed to major cities in all directions.This is just one of the many examples of the tie between the railways and commerce in Clinton. At one point the site handled up to six cartloads of beer a month.
In 1920, Leroy Lobaugh purchased the Anheuser-Busch building and used it as a feed and produce business. The Lobaugh family remained owners until the building was sold to the third and present owner, the Henry County Historical Society, in 1974.

[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”2_5″ _builder_version=”3.25.3″][et_pb_image src=”” _builder_version=”3.25.3″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]

Share This